Thursday, May 25, 2017

Memphis, TN The National Civil Rights Museum

April 9, 2017
National Civil Rights Museum
Memphis TN


The Lorraine Motel is the fitting site of the Civil Rights Museum
On April 4, 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on the balcony of this motel.

This museum evoked so many emotions and I don't think that I can speak to the wrongs that have been perpetrated on a group of human beings, simply because of the color of their skin.  I feel anger, sadness and guilt that any of this could ever happen, but I have hope that someday, we, as human beings, can eventually get it right.

The facade of the motel has been preserved as a remembrance of the tragedy.






The wreath marks the spot where Dr. King stood.


Throughout the museum, W.E.B. Dubois words are repeated.

“There is in this world no such force as the force of a person determined to rise. 
The human soul cannot be permanently chained.” 
W.E.B. Dubois 1910


Take a long look at the images and ponder the words, that I post here, and consider the struggles and triumphs of this movement.
























My home town, no better than any other.  We didn't shop at "Stix", but it was because we couldn't afford their goods.  I was 3 years old when this began.

I was in high school when the sit-ins started. I don't think I understood what was happening and why until I was much older.
















































The rooms that Dr. King and his group stayed in at the Lorraine Motel.
















Across the street is the Legacy Museum, it is located in the Young and Morrow Building and boarding house where James Earl Ray stayed.  Much of this exhibit is dedicated to tracking and arresting the assassin.




I may not get there with you, but I want you to know that we as a people will get to the promised land.




White Mustang like the one that Ray drove.



The view from the room where James Earl Ray fired the shot.

Ray's bathroom




No comments:

Post a Comment